I've become aware of so many things that I tell myself are true...or should be true and so it's not wrong for me to believe. It's driving me crazy that I can rationalize things in my life and make it seem that what I'm doing is right, when it's just plain wrong.
While driving, I consistently go 5 miles over the speed limit because "there's a law that the real limit is always 5 over what's posted." Cops aren't going to pull me over because they tell you to go 25mph but really mean just don't go above 30mph.
Telling the clerk at Kohl's I lost my coupon when I really gave it to my dad is fine. Everyone is getting 15% off right now and I could have printed another one. I was nice to my dad, so she should be nice to me.
I hate this one. When my kids want to play and I just plain don't. I rationalize that I am owed time to sit on my butt and do nothing. I cook, clean, chauffeur, do homework, and blah blah blah blah blah... Everyone with a paying job gets breaks so I should take one too.
That case of formula I bought years ago still haunts me. The check-out girl scanned the first one and didn't realize she had to scan them all even though they were packaged together. I didn't figure out why my bill was so cheap until I was driving away.....but I didn't go back. I thought, maybe this is a gift from God. I mean, how many times do I drive away from McDonald's and have paid, but didn't get what I ordered. This is just God evening it out.
There's more, lots more. But, I've already said enough to show that my brain is whacked out and needs a reality check. I think we all do this stuff...some more, some less. I think that's why I tell myself it's okay. "Everyone stretches the truth and so we all should or we'll never survive in this world. It's not like I'm really hurting anyone." In all honesty, there are always consequences for our actions.
Deep breath:
ReplyDeleteFor as the heavens are high above the earth,
So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him;
As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
As a father pities his children,
So the LORD pities those who fear Him.
For He knows our frame;
He remembers that we are dust.
Ps 103;11-14
You're doing great.